In 2007, the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics ran its own tests on 33 red lipsticks and found that one-third exceeded the FDA’s limit for lead in candy.
The FDA found the most lead in lipsticks made by Procter &
Gamble (Cover Girl brand), L’Oreal (L’Oreal, Body Shop and Maybelline
brands), and Revlon.
According to this article, here is a list of lipsticks that contain the highest amount of lead (measured in parts per million).
1. Maybelline Color Sensational, Pink Petal (7.9 ppm)
2. L’Oreal Colour Riche, Volcanic, (7.0 ppm)
3. NARS Semi-Matte, Red Lizard (4.93 ppm)
4. Cover Girl Queen Collection, Ruby Remix, (4.92 ppm)
5. Nars Semi-Matte, Funny Face (4.89 ppm)
6. L’Oreal Colour Riche, Tickled Pink (4.45 ppm)
7. L’Oreal Intensely Moisturizing Lipcolor, Heroic (4.41 ppm)
8. Cover Girl Continuous Color, Warm Brick (4.28 ppm)
9. Maybelline Color Sensational, Mauve Me (4.23 ppm)
10. Stargazer Lipstick, #103 (4.12 ppm)
If you find you need to replace some not-so-healthy lipsticks that you are throwing out, here are 11 lead-free lipsticks you can pick up!